A hike to Lata Medang Waterfall near Kuala Kubu Bharu makes an enjoyable day out.
Not far from Chilling waterfalls is the Medang waterfall. Starting from Orang Asal village in Kampung Pertak,this trek takes you through local fruit orchards, petai, bamboo clusters, rattan and secondary vegetation. The jungle trek is moderately challenging. During the fruit season,trekkers may be lucky to pick up some jungle durians, mangosteen, langsat and others.
This hike will follow a 4WD track, which can be very muddy. After that we turn towards the slope of the hill on a rather narrow path. There are some steep stretches along the way, but in general the climb is moderate. More adventurous hikers can join our mountain guide when we chop ourselves a way to the top of Lata Medang. It will take at least 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours of trekking to reach the Lata Medang waterfall which is only 200 m upstream.
Trip highlights: Medium/ big waterfalls with curtain falls. A good opportunity to see tropical fruit trees, bamboo forest and much more!
Please read notes on our “Beginner” Hike
See the Youtube video below:-
The Trip At A Glance
Where: Near Kg Pertak ,Selangor, Malaysia
When: 30th March 2012 (Friday) (11.30PM Depart)
WHO IS SUITABLE ? Physical fitness is a prerequisite. Even if you are a beginner or less-experienced hiker, you can join us, and enjoy the beautiful hike with its several small streams and amazing views
Overall Hike Grading: 3.33 (Read more on how we rate our hikes here)
Height Grading: 3.0
Terrain Grading: 3.0
Distance Grading: 4.0
Terrain: Unpaved roads with some steep and muddy sections.
Type of waterfall: Cascades, Multiple falls
Total Distance: 6,2km one way, 12.4KM (Return)
Total Hike Time: 8.0 hours Return inclusive of 1.5-2.0hours of chill-out at the waterfall
Estimated Return to Singapore: Before 11.30pm on the same day
Costs: S$130 per pax
Closing date of registration: 31st Feb 2012
Pre-trip Briefing Email: Will send briefing email 3 days before the trip only to those who RSVP-Yes and who has made payment.
- Return Private Coach
- All Administration Charges
- All Permits and Entrance Fees
- Expenses of any emergency nature
- Expenses of personal nature, including soft drinks.
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for driver/guide @ RM 5.00 per person
How to register ? Click here for registration.
Things to Bring:
- One will need minimum 3 litre of isotonic drink
- Insect Repellent
- Rain Gear
- Warm Jacket in case coach journey is chilly
- Walking Stick (if you deemed necessary)
- Changing Clothes
- Snacks for lunch
- Can we leave our things safely in the transport when we hike?
Ans: Yes you can. Through my experience, driver and vehicle is very good and honest.
- What time we are expected to be back to Singapore?
Ans: Between 11-11.30pm on same day
- Do we have a proper place that we can change clothes?
Ans: No, we can change at the waterfall area
- Are there any leeches or “Dancing Queens”( I usually call them that..) in this forest?
- How long is the journey from Singapore to our hiking place?
Ans: If smooth traffic, we should be there in 5.5 hours.
- Are there any Steep slopes to climb or descend?
- 11.30pm is a little tight to reach in time for me. Are there any alternatives?
Ans: Meet us at 12am at woodland checkpoint after the custom clearance. Please inform me via email/SMS if you are meeting me at woodland checkpoint.
- Do we go for breakfast in Malaysia? Or we direct go to the mountain?