Gunung Panti is situated just a few kilometers North of Kota Tinggi in Johor. The forest that it sits in has been logged once, making it a secondary forest today.
An easy 2 hour trek will take you to the summit. The last 10 minutes is an easy scramble up a rock face to the summit. The decend takes about another 2 hours. This hill is recommended for just about anyone with resonable fitness.
The initial part of the Forest route is relatively flat. However, the trail soon becomes undulating and at certain points, is muddy. The challenging part of this route is that there is a very steep ascent towards the summit. There are some fixed ropes to assist in the steep ascent. However, after overcoming this steep portion, the summit is about 10m away. This route is also reported to be leech infested.
See my video:
The Forest route is more interesting than the Lukut route although ascending and descending via the same way may be a bit monotonous. On the Forest route, the last water source is near the beginning of the trek and from there, there is no water at all. It is highly recommended to carry about 2 liters of drinking water for this day long trek.
After the hike , we will head for either simple lunch or dinner before we come back to Singapore.
The summit Video
The Trip At A Glance
Where: Kota Tinggi
When: 28th April 2012 (Saturday) (7AM Depart)
WHO IS SUITABLE ? Anyone with reasonable fitness. Beginners are welcome.
Overall Hike Grading: 1.66
Height Grading: 1.0
Terrain Grading: 2.0
Distance Grading: 2.0
Terrain: Mostly unpaved roads, not too steep terrain
Total Distance: 4-4.5.km one way, 9KM (Return)
Elevation: 513m /1683ft
Total Hike Time: 4.0 hours Return
Estimated Return to Singapore: Before 9pm on the same day
Costs: S$80 per pax
Closing date of registration: 28th March 2012
Pre-trip Briefing Email: Will send briefing email 3 days before the trip only to those who RSVP-Yes and who has made payment.
- Return Private Coach
- Either Lunch / Dinner depeding on our finish time
- Guide Fee
- All Administration Charges
- All Permits and Entrance Fees
- Expenses of any emergency nature
- Expenses of personal nature, including soft drinks.
- Travel Insurance
- Tips for driver/guide @ RM 5.00 per person
How to register ? Click here for registration.
Things to Bring:
- One will need minimum 2 litre of isotonic drink, 1 litre to ascend and 1 litre to descend.
- Insect Repellent
- Leech Socks or any other protection against leeches
- Rain Gear
- Warm Jacket in case coach journey is chilly
- Walking Stick (if you deemed necessary)
- Changing Clothes
- Snacks for lunch
- Can we leave our things safely in the transport when we hike?
Ans: Yes you can. Through my experience, driver and vehicle is very good and honest.
- What time we are expected to be back to Singapore?
Ans: Between 9-10pm
- Do we have a proper place that we can change clothes?
Ans:Yes, there are proper toilet facilities available at a resort nearby. (Cold Shower only)
- Are there any leeches or “Dancing Queens”( I usually call them that..) in this forest?
- How long is the journey from Singapore to our hiking place?
Ans: If smooth traffic, we should be there in 1.5 hours.
- Are there any Steep slopes to climb or descend?
- 7am is a little tight to reach in time for me. Are there any alternatives?
Ans: Meet us at 7.30am at woodland checkpoint after the custom clearance. Please inform me via email/SMS if you are meeting me at woodland checkpoint.
- Do we go for breakfast in Malaysia? Or we direct go to the mountain?